Tuesday, August 24, 2010

such sad news

My sister-in-law committed suicide yesterday. I just found out. I'm in shock. She was my sister's partner, and they had been together for 22 years. Apparently they had been arguing about money and decided to spend the night apart. She overdosed in a hotel room. It's so sad. She was a kind, loving, funny, wonderful woman. My kids adored her. I just feel so confused by it all.

I guess this may be all a bit off-topic for this blog, but I'll offer this for anyone who is reading: My husband and I have a no-fighting policy. Meaning, we don't fight about anything, ever. It started as a joke new year's resolution just before 2009. That January, I recall starting to get upset by something and about to argue with my husband. I stopped and said to myself, "OMG, you can't even make it a month?!?" So whatever it was I was upset about, I just dropped it. And the next time something came up, I dropped it again. Soon, I realized that 99% of the stupid shit we had fought about was just stupid shit I was letting get the better of me. I realized that ultimately my husband and I are on the same team, and arguing with your team mate is always counterproductive. I, probably for the first time in my life, learned how to trust someone completely.

I don't know what really happened between my sister and her partner, but I do know that no argument is worth taking your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment