Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Water weight

Yesterday I did 40 minutes on the elliptical over my lunch hour (I'm lucky I work a block and a half away from a gym), and then in the evening I took the kids to the gym again (I have one close to my house too) and did about 20 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on various weight machines. Today I did 45 minutes on the elliptical over lunch. I plan to hit the gym again tonight too.

My weight today was 142.6. No way did I lose 3.4 pounds overnight, so I'm just going with the thought that I was puffy with water yesterday. It makes sense because I was at a wedding reception/picnic/bbq on Saturday and ate a metric ton of tortilla chips. Salty fatty crunchy is my downfall. It's funny, I could sit next to a big slice of cake all day and not be bothered by it, but put a bowl full of potato chips within ten feet of me, and I'm driven to distraction.

Yesterday, all I ate was two hard-boiled eggs over about two cups of raw spinach and about a half cup of raw broccali. On top of all that I put about three tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. It must be all the vitamins sustaining me, because I don't feel hungry at all right now.

So, yeah, I take my kids with me to the gym whenever possible. I only have them half-time; the other half they live with the Ex and his fat-ass bitch of a wife. (Ha! The joys of an anonymous blog! Being able to tell it like it is!) My daughter is 12 and my son is 14. Both are in pretty good shape, the girl moreso than the boy because she's also in swimming, an hour and a half three times a week.

But I've got them both working out now. I don't want to mess up their heads about their appearance, but I do want them to understand the truth, especially since adults generally lie to kids about such things. Truth is, you get treated differently depending on your appearance. I remember when I first gained a bunch of weight. It was during the year after I met the Ex. I had gained about 20 to 25 pounds. And all of a sudden I realized that people...how shall I put this?...people (especially men) no longer found me interesting or intelligent or worth listening to. It was like I had disappeared. People were much less likely to go out of their way to be nice to me, even on little things like holding a door open for me or smiling at me or engaging me in idle conversation in the line at the grocery store. I don't want my kids ever to go through that.

No comments:

Post a Comment